HCSA response to new PPE guidance
April 9 2020 – The HCSA has noted the new personal protection equipment (PPE) guidance for NHS teams published by the UK Government on 2 April 2020.
We urge all members who haven’t done so already to familiarise themselves with the document – in particular the section on aprons – and ensure they are fully informed with the latest directions in the appropriate use of PPE.
HCSA appreciates the best efforts of everyone working under the most unprecedented pressure and continues to support STP/ICS mutual aid and those supplier solutions that are helping to proliferate best practice.
Subsequent to the release of the new guidance, HCSA has listened to extensive member feedback regarding continuing challenges and existing concerns and takes this opportunity to reaffirm our commitment to seeking the required improvements to ensure you have all the tools and support to help you through this most challenging of periods.
To this end we have compiled the 10-point action plan below, which we will be pushing hard to realise in the name of all NHS procurement staff.
- Full visibility of national stock position be it during pandemic, Brexit or BAU on order
- Immediate removal of inequitable Push qty allocation system and immediate recognition of Trust size/Covid related activity.
- An agreed target for migration of Push to Pull and ability to order based on need.
- An urgent review of Push product listing with removal of common user items like aprons and gels and transfer back to BAU.
- A much-improved delivery system and better cooperation between all players.
- A formal Group including HCSA Trust Leaders to work with NHSE/I
- Transparency on stock outs.
- Visibility of sourcing plans.
- Reassessment of the time-consuming and unwieldy escalation process.
- Continued focus and visible commitment by all partners to achieve the common objectives
In return for the action list we will request in due course that all Trusts/STPs suspend parallel sourcing.
You can see the latest guidance on use of PPE here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-personal-protective-equipment-ppe-guidance-for-nhs-teams
About the HCSA
The HCSA promotes the work of procurement and supply chain staff at all levels in healthcare. The Association provides training events and educational seminars, sponsors awards and hosts two high-profile annual conferences. The governance of the Association rests with the board of Trustees. The Executive runs the day to day business of the Association supported by a National Stakeholder Group of Regional Coordinators, Specialist Area Coordinators and National representatives from across the U.K.
HCSA is a registered charity in the UK, is entirely self-financed through a combination of income from conferences, seminars, other training events and advertising. Membership is open to all procurement and supply professionals within the healthcare sector in the UK. We do not currently offer membership to providers of products and services to the healthcare industry. We do however, welcome their attendance and involvement at some of our annual events. The Health Care Supply Association is affiliated with the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS).