Annual data refresh – December 2018
Following the publication of national reference costs for 2017/18, the Model Hospital has been updated with 2017/18 reference cost data and 2017/18 Electronic Staff Record (ESR) data.
Although reference costs are only updated once a year, it’s worth checking in regularly to understand progress and see what’s changed – other metrics are updated on a monthly or quarterly basis, including the Top 10 Medicines and key Nursing & Midwifery indicators.
- Updated productivity measures at trust-level (including Operational Productivity and Finance & Use of Resources), and for Clinical Service Lines and other key metrics.
- A new set of ‘recommended peers’ based on the refreshed data and an improved algorithm that has been tested with providers. This can be viewed within the peer drop-down on the site.
- Updated Opportunities for your trust for Clinical Service Lines and Workforce, in order to help you better understand your trust’s potential productivity gains.
- Changes to the calculations of staff costs per WAU and similar metrics using ESR data, to reflect our work to date. Please review the metadata for the revised methodology.
Help and support
- Further information on the annual data refresh including a full list of the compartments updated.
- The Model Hospital’s headline metrics use a Weighted Activity Unit (WAU) based on reference costs. Find out more about how cost per WAU metrics are calculated and watch our explanatory video.
- You can also view our short videos on peers and benchmarking and opportunities
We would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your ongoing use and support of the Model Hospital. If you have any questions on any of the above, please do not hesitate to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Model Hospital Team
Model Hospital Project | Operational Productivity Directorate
NHS Improvement | Wellington House | 133-155 Waterloo Road | London