1. Correction to procurement policy note regarding EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
A procurement policy note (PPN) to inform you of your responsibilities regarding the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Data Protection Act 2018, which will come into force on 25 May, was published on 19 December 2017.
The PPN contains guidance on how to bring your existing and new contracts into line with the requirements. It includes a set of standard generic terms and conditions covering GDPR that you can add into your contracts.
Please be aware that there was an error in clause 1.13, which was corrected on 17 January.
2. Payment card policy update
CCS is now responsible for the payment card policy across government, whilst departments and their arm’s length bodies remain responsible for implementing the policy.
New guidance has been published by the Cabinet Office, highlighting a number of changes:
- increase of recommended low value level to £10,000
- separate uses for physical, lodge and virtual cards
- CCS to be consulted on all new card programmes
The official government payment card programme is offered under our ePurchasing Card Solution framework.
There are many benefits to using payment cards including a reduction in the time it takes to buy some items and a rebate based on a percentage of all transaction values.
3. Aggregation opportunities
3.1 IT hardware
We are planning an aggregated further competition for IT hardware products, such as laptops, desktops, monitors and tablet devices, using lot 1 (hardware) of the Technology Products 2 (RM3733) framework for branded products and lot 5 (volume hardware requirements) for large volume brand agnostic requirements. Optional services, such as asset tagging and image build/load, may also be included, depending on customer interest.
Recent projects have achieved excellent price savings for customers, for example:
- Gloucestershire County Council saved over £500,000 on 2,000 laptops
- 95 schools saved an average of 36% on 2,200 tablets
To take part you will need to share your technical specifications for inclusion no later than 9 March, and we expect the contract to be in place by early June.
The competition will have a maximum contract term of 9 months. You will need to sign your contract with the successful supplier within 2 weeks of award, and delivery of products must take place within the 9 month term.
If you are interested in getting involved, no matter how big or small your requirement is, please get in touch – simply tick the aggregation box and quote NFC91.
3.2 Mobile voice & data services
If you are interested in joining the next aggregated further competition under our Network Services (RM1045) framework for mobile voice and data services please get in touch before the end of April.
It is anticipated that the contract will be in place in July, offering customers a high level of flexibility by:
- establishing a zero line rental model for basic connections, so you do not incur costs for lines not used
- structuring services as “bolt-ons” enabling you to build packages to suit your specific requirements and removing the restrictions of a “one size fits all” approach
- 30-day terms for “bolt-ons” so you can change your mix of services during the contract
Our last competition saved 17 customers over £2.7 million. Read more in this case study.
To find out more about getting involved please get in touch – simply tick the aggregation box and quote mobiles.
The National Fuels framework offers customers access to a variety of solid and liquid fuels via 5 lots:
- Lot 1: Liquid Fuel
- Lot 2: Liquified Gas
- Lot 3: Solid Fuel
- Lot 4: Greases, Lubricants and Antifreezes
- Lot 5: Associated products and services
We will be running quarterly aggregated further competitions under the framework in 2018 and recommend you consider joining the next aggregation if you have new requirements, or would like to add new sites to your existing arrangements for the start of the next financial year.
By joining a CCS led aggregation you will benefit from:
- easy route to market with options for both regional and national suppliers
- aggregated further competitions carried out to deliver best prices
If you are interested in taking part in the first quarterly aggregation please fill in this online form, quoting ‘RM3801 – National Fuels’.
The deadline for site addition templates and additional terms is 1 March. Customers taking part will be in a position to call-off from the framework from 2 April.
By using standardised vehicle specifications and our bulk buying power to make your requirements more attractive to suppliers, we have found our eAuctions can help customers save as much as 40% on manufacturer’s retail price.
The closing date to get involved in the next fleet eAuction is 23 May. The eAuction will be held at the start of July and orders will need to be placed within 3 months, with a typical delivery lead time of 12 weeks.
The eAuctions are run under lots 1 and 2 of the Vehicle Purchase (RM1070) framework and any volume or vehicle type can be considered. We can also help you if you want to lease rather than buy the vehicles.
To find out more please get in touch – simply tick the aggregation box and quote Fleet eAuctions.
Want to learn more about how our free to use aggregation service works? Watch our short film
4. Have your say on new Network Services framework
We are beginning consultation on the replacement for the Network Services framework with a series of customer workshops in February and March.
If you are interested in helping shape the next agreement, please register for one of the following events:
- Manchester, 20 February, Novotel Manchester Centre, 10am-3pm Register
- Birmingham, 1 March, BVSC Digbeth, 10am-3pm Register
- London, 2 March, venue to be confirmed Register
5. Technology webinars
We all know that the technology landscape is fast-paced and constantly evolving. Whether you are an experienced tech buyer or new to this area, our upcoming webinars are a great way to hear from our commercial specialists and ensure that you are getting the best solution for your organisation.
- Network Services on 6 March at 2pm
Networks remain fundamental for the successful delivery of public services. Join us for this overview of the Network Services framework, covering how to buy a variety of services, from mobile connections to wide area network connections.
- G-Cloud on 14 February at 10.30am and 14 March at 10.30am
Find out how to search for and buy cloud computing services like infrastructure, platform, software and specialist cloud services.
- Technology Products on 28 February at 11am
Join us to find out more about the different ways you can use our agreement for all your IT hardware and commodity software needs, including access to our extensive online catalogue, the Purchasing Platform.
6. The future of utilities and fuels – come along to our event and have your say
We are hosting a dedicated customer event on Monday 26 February at 10.30am at Civil Aviation House, London.
The event will provide you with an overview of our utilities and fuels strategy, detailing our latest developments, while providing an opportunity for you to voice your requirements.
The event is open to all, whether you currently use CCS for utilities requirements or not.
7. Upcoming events
7.1 Civil Service Live is coming
Civil Service Live is the government’s annual, cross-department learning event, attracting thousands of civil servants to learn, network and share best practice – with the ultimate goal of providing better public service.
The conferences offer engaging, interactive and thought provoking sessions, led by dynamic, expert and inspirational speakers.
The event is focused on the themes of the Civil Service vision – A Brilliant Civil Service – and is a great development opportunity, designed to motivate civil servants to continue to adopt the vision and demonstrate leadership.
The event will be held across a range of locations and dates:
- Thursday 7 June 2018: SEC Centre, Glasgow
- Wednesday 13 June 2018: NEC, Birmingham
- Wednesday 27 June 2018: Winter Gardens, Blackpool
- Thursday 5 July 2018: City Hall, Cardiff
- Thursday 12 July 2018: St James’ Park, Newcastle
- Tuesday 17 and Wednesday 18 July 2018: QEII Centre, London
The agenda and registration will open for delegates from Wednesday 26 April at www.civilservicelive.com
For more information about the events and different sponsorship, speaking or exhibition opportunities please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7593 5500.
7.2 Procurex South
We will be hosting a CCS showcase at Procurex South on 15 March at Olympia, London. Malcolm Harrison, Chief Executive of CCS, will be giving the opening keynote address, and the showcase will feature a range of interactive engagement opportunities and educational workshops.
It’s free for public sector organisations to attend. Book your place
We will be exhibiting at DPRTE, the UK’s leading defence procurement and supply chain event, on 27 March at the Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff. The event will provide attendees with an opportunity to gain valuable insight into the latest policies, initiatives and innovations across the defence procurement and supply chain marketplace. It’s free for Ministry of Defence and public sector organisations to attend.
CCS returns to the Public Sector Show
We are delighted to be returning as a key supporter of the Public Sector Show in London on 26 June.
The Public Sector Show is a must-attend event for anyone responsible for procurement in central and local government, as well as the wider public sector. Meet with over 130 leading suppliers of solutions and products designed to save money and deliver better public services.
Our Chief Executive, Malcolm Harrison, will be delivering a keynote on transforming public sector procurement. We will also have our own seminar theatre at the show – look out for further details shortly!
A number of CCS framework suppliers will be exhibiting, providing you with an ideal opportunity to meet them in person, learn about their products and solutions, and even see demonstrations.
8. Latest case studies
8.1 Water aggregation delivers up to 10% price reduction on market average
CCS delivered the UK’s first aggregated further competition for water and wastewater services for public sector customers using our framework (RM3790), which enabled customers to switch supply as early as 1 January 2018.
Recognising customers pay anything between 6 and 13% for retail water services, we wanted to help customers gain better value for money by accessing lower and transparent billing and improved servicing.
8.2 Supporting Newham Council’s digital transformation
The council’s 2020 transformation team recognised the need to take a more customer-centric approach to transform and redesign how it delivers vital online services to over 300,000 local residents. Using the Digital Marketplace, London Borough of Newham Council used the Digital Outcomes and Specialists (DOS) framework to procure a specialist supplier to deliver expertise, working with them to understand and improve the user experience of vital services.
This project has helped to secure senior buy-in to a new agile approach to service design, and the budget to go back out to market, via DOS, for other suppliers to provide the additional development for this project.
9. New frameworks
- Spend Analysis and Recovery Services (RM3820) will help you recover funds by identifying overpayments and duplicate payments. Accountancy and audit specialists with expertise across areas like utilities, telecoms and VAT will work with you on a “no-win-no-fee” basis. They will analyse your financial transactions and commercial agreements to identify monies that could be recovered. They will then recover them for you, and make recommendations so you can take steps to avoid such issues in the future.
- Behavioural Insights (RM6004) has been designed to help you to tap into the very best behavioural insights expertise to inform policy and service design by using behaviour change, with an emphasis on finding innovative ways of encouraging, enabling and supporting people to make better choices for themselves.
- Public Sector Resourcing has recently awarded and further details will be available shortly.
10. New contract notices
The following OJEU contract notice has recently been published:
- Facilities Management Marketplace phase 1 (RM3830) for national and local bundled facilities management services.
You can view details of all ongoing or planned procurements on our procurement pipeline.
11. Frameworks expiring shortly
- Allied Health Professionals Health Science and Emergency Services Temporary Staff (RM959) will expire on 31 March. Customers with requirements for these types of agency staff should use Multidisciplinary Temporary Healthcare Personnel (RM3711), which provides an NHS Improvement approved way to source all your temporary clinical staff needs through a single framework.
- Telecoms Expense Management (RM1014) is due to expire on 31 March. It is being replaced by Technology Expense Management (RM3802), which will be available later this year.
- Market Research (RM1086) will expire on 7 April. It is being replaced by a Research Marketplace, which will be available in mid-February.
- Fuel Cards and Associated Services (RM1027) is due to expire on 13 May. It is being replaced by a new framework, which is due to award in March.
12. Recently expired frameworks
- Printing and Specialist Paper (RM1078) expired on 19 January. Customers looking to purchase paper should now use the Office Supplies for the Wider Public Sector (RM3703) framework. Customers looking for print services should use the Managed Print and Digital Solutions (RM3785) framework.
- Behavioural Insights Consulting and Research (RM3742) expired on 3 February. It has been replaced by Behavioural Insights (RM6004), which is now available for customers to use.
13. Framework extensions
- Wider Public Sector Travel Management Services (RM1034) has been extended until 20 August 2018 to provide continuity of service during the development of the replacement agreement Public Sector Travel and Venue Solutions (RM6016).
- Merchant Acquiring Services, Equipment and Payment Gateway Services (RM3702) has been extended until 29 February 2019.
- Office Supplies for the Wider Public Sector (RM3703) has been extended until 4 March 2019.
- Crown Office Supplies (RM3723) has been extended until 30 March 2019.
- G-Cloud 9 (RM1557ix) has been extended until 21 May 2019.
14. Quick links
14.1 Mystery Shopper results
You can view the latest Mystery Shopper results to see how the scheme is helping to improve procurement practices across the public sector and support our ambition to make doing business with government as easy as possible for small businesses.
14.2 Procurement policy
If you are looking for public procurement policy guidance please take a look at our public procurement policy page
Looking for a particular procurement policy note? View the collection of all procurement policy notes.
14.3 Procurement tools
- eSourcing log on
Not yet registered? Find out how to register in our eSourcing guide.
- Purchasing Platform
Not yet registered? Register and learn more about the current catalogues
15. Sign up for email alerts
You can sign up for immediate, daily or weekly email alerts which will tell you what we have added or updated on the GOV.UK website. It is a great way to stay up to date with the latest news and information from CCS.
Sign up for email alerts by providing your email address and selecting the frequency you wish to receive updates.